No. 10 of Top Hong Kong Attractions "Clock Tower"
Standing 44-metres tall, the old Clock Tower was erected in 1915 as part of the Kowloon–Canton Railway terminus. The once-bustling station is long gone, but this red brick and granite tower, now preserved as a Declared Monument, survives as an elegant reminder of the Age of Steam. It has also been a memorable landmark for the millions of Chinese immigrants who passed through the terminus to begin new lives not just in Hong Kong, but in other parts of the world via the city’s harbour.
A history of the Clock Tower
1910 The Kowloon-Canton Railway line is opened.
1913 Foundations are laid for the terminus in Tsim Sha Tsui.
1915 The station and its clock tower are almost complete but the delivery of fittings and fixtures from Britain are delayed because of the First World War.
1916 Terminus station is completed and officially opened. However, the clock was not installed in the tower because of concerns about costs. Photographs from this era show the tower without a clock face.
1919 Funds to complete the clock tower were eventually raised. The bell and electric clock arrive in Hong Kong but installation was further postponed until necessary drawings and instructions from the manufacturer were obtained.
1921 After years of delays, the clock begins operating.
1970s A new terminus station is opened in Hung Hom and the old station is demolished with the execption of the Clock Tower.
1990s The Clock Tower is listed as a Declared Monument.