Atsuta Jingu Shrine

Though it lacks the whimsy of tunnels of red torii of Fushimi Inari and the grandeur of the forest and shrine of Meiji in the scheme of shrines Atsuta Jinju is actually quite significant. A sword, one of the three sacred treasures within Shinto is kept at this shrine - the other two items are kept at Kokyo Shrine in Tokyo (jewel) and the Grand Shrine of Ise (mirror). Due to its significance within the Shinto religion I specifically traveled to Nagoya for a chance to visit Atsuta.


Photos of Atsuta Jingu Shrine, Nagoya
Photos of Atsuta Jingu Shrine, Nagoya
Photos of Atsuta Jingu Shrine, Nagoya


The shrine itself seems incredibly modern - so much so I read more about the shrine after returning and learned that much of it was destroyed during WWII so many of the buildings are as new as the '60's and seemingly well kept. For some reason I felt a more utilitarian vibe at Atsuta.

When I visited I saw a few wedding parties visiting the shrine in addition to the groups of older men and families. The shrine does sell a variety of interesting and unique omamori (amulets) and ema (tablets) and is one of the few shrines at which I've found a small kamidama (the only other place I've seen one was Meiji Shrine in Tokyo). 

It's worth a visit if you're specifically interested in shrines and/or Shinto due to its importance in the religion but if those things don't interest you I might recommend skipping the shrine.

Popular Posts